Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Anybody Ever Heard a Pair of These?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Anybody Ever Heard a Pair of These?

    These are less than an hour from my house. Anyone ever heard a pair of them before? Is there any literature on the web about them? He's asking $600 or "make an offer"--might be worth picking up if you're in New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Ontario, etc. I'm so used to horns these days not sure I'd be happy with the h.f. response out of those old tweeters but someone out there on this forum may have heard a pair and might attest to great sound (or not). Never heard of 420Y but that number sounds familiar for some reason.....

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTATE-VINTAGE-P...item20b7c16741

    Also a quick heads up on some duplexes (6 hours left) in original cabs for $799.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-602C-DUPLE...item3cb618e630
    Found this literature on 602C's (should we download it for our library?)
    http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/ima...02C.605A.2.jpg

    And a nice looking pair of Model 14's currently at $300...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Model-14-S...item27b9a206e7

    Lastly, I couldn't resist posting the link for these--look at the seller's last name? What do you think it means in Spanish? :snickerpup:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansing-mo...item27b9a719c3
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Anybody Ever Heard a Pair of These?

    The Duplexes in original cabinets sold for $860. Someone got a nice deal! The rest of the items (above) are still available...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%252B8Z4o%253D
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Anybody Ever Heard a Pair of These?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Anybody Ever Heard a Pair of These?

    The 420 Y is only worth buying if cheap.

    Google "Altec Santana" not Santana II

    Santana is a 420 biflex and a tweeter. 420 Y has the tweeter mounted on a bracket.

    I wouldn't pay more than 200. I'd prefer the Santana, easier to mod the tweeter which is the weakest link..
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Anybody Ever Heard a Pair of These?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    The 420 Y is only worth buying if cheap.

    Google "Altec Santana" not Santana II

    Santana is a 420 biflex and a tweeter. 420 Y has the tweeter mounted on a bracket.

    I wouldn't pay more than 200. I'd prefer the Santana, easier to mod the tweeter which is the weakest link..
    Makes sense--thanks for the info--some good advice for any potential buyers out there too. I've also heard the the biflex speakers can't be reconed as biflex speakers--they have to be reconed as something like a 416 so when buying something like these I guess you'd want to make sure both 420's are in very good working order--no rubs, etc. since a 416 and a tweeter won't make a good combination. BTW, I did some searching for 420 Y and found this interesting thread about them--do you think these could be Altec Madrids? The thread has some familiar names like Bowtie, Analog Addict, Zilch, dgwojo etc. (in post 7 Zilch posts a photo of a huge "pile" of speakers and crossovers that gets some oohs and aahs--I think they're JBL's?) and the discussion between Tom Brennan and Zilch gets kind of "heated"......
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115591
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.